Date Night Dinner: Classic Shrimp Scampi on Whole Grain Pasta
Prep: 20 minutes
Skip the scramble for reservations and wow your sweetheart at home with this wholesome take on a restaurant staple. Shrimp scampi is fresh, flavorful and seemingly fancy – but is actually very easy to make.
Our version trades the refined white pasta typically found in restaurants for whole-grain noodles, making it a healthier choice. Whole grains have more fiber, more nutrients and a lower glycemic index than refined grains.
Eating plenty of whole grains can make it easier to maintain a healthy body weight, and can help lower the risk of heart disease, diabetes and certain types of cancer. Many Americans are not getting enough whole grains in their diet. If that includes you, this zesty dish is a great place to start – especially if you have been hesitant to try whole-grain pasta.
After all, what better way to show someone you care than to consider their health when you cook for them? Plus, the combination of fiber-rich pasta with protein-packed shrimp should leave you full enough to resist going overboard on dessert!
2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 pound whole grain pasta (linguine or similar)
- Start the pasta water. Measure and prep your ingredients while it comes to a boil.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to the package directions.
- In a large frying pan, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat until foaming.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and cook until the alcohol smell has cooked off, about 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp, salt and pepper.
- Cook the shrimp, turning occasionally, until they are pink and opaque, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat, add the parsley and lemon juice and gently stir to combine.
- Add drained pasta to the pan and toss with tongs to coat with sauce.
- Serve with additional lemon wedges and/or parsley sprigs for garnish.